Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Seamstressery -- a strange hobby

Wikipedia defines a hobby as "a spare-time recreational pursuit." Most people seem to have something they enjoy doing in their spare time, and I am no exception. My hobby, however, might be: When I see a beautiful piece of Pendelton wool or a pretty new print in Joanne's, I instantly think of what could be sewn with the material. This is where seamstressery comes in: if the idea I have seems attractive enough I sit down, draw what I would like, and then either make it from a pattern and tailor it to my size or meld and change patterns to get what I want. Sometimes I make a pattern using measurements and established pattern drafting ratios. I love to see what is on my piece of paper turn into a touchable reality!!! I intend to post some examples of my work shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment